One of my favorite TV series is The Real Housewives. I love all of them (New York City, Orange County, Atlanta, New Jersey, Beverly Hills, Miami and D.C.). Each week after one of the shows there is a program that talks about what happened in the show (it’s called Watch What Happens LIVE). It’s hosted by Andy Cohen and each week he will bring on 2 guests who have shows on Bravo (they are both usually Housewives guests.) They talk about the episode and random things. One of the bits in the show is called “Three Things I’m Obsessed With This Week”- or something like that. Andy talks about 3 things he is “obsessed” with that have gone on in the past week. I like the bit a lot so I figured I would do my own here. 🙂
So here are 5 things I am obsessed with this week- and in general:
1. Justin Bieber- yes, I am a belieber. I thought he was the most ridiculous thing but after seeing his movie (3 times) I am proud to say he has gained me as a fan and I love his music.
2. Pinterest- not that I needed another distraction, but alas, I have found one! I am fairly new at Pinterest so I am still trying to figure it out but it’s pretty cool!
3. Mean Girls (the movie)- this is probably my favorite movie of all time! It’s just so funny and the quotes are hilarious! Tina Fey is a genius!
4. Jersey Shore (the TV show)- yes, I have joined the fad of watching people who look like oompa loompas, with hair 6 inches in the air, who fist pump and girls with nails that are 2 inches too long. I don’t know why I enjoy it- it’s definitely my guilty pleasure.. I am VERY excited about season 4 however because they are going to the Motherland, aka ITALY!! They will be in Florence, which is where I went so it will be cool to see where they go & where I went.
5. Zach Galifianakis- this dude is HILARIOUS! I saw him in Due Date and loved him as an actor. He is the reason I didn’t want to see either Hangover movie, because I thought he was Captain Inappropriate. But after seeing him in Due Date I figured I would watch the first Hangover and see what I thought. Well I loved it so I saw the second one- which wasn’t as good as the first, FYI. His timing is great and he just has his character down so well.
So there they are- the 5 things I’m obsessed with this week. I am going to try and do this, at least twice a month, it would be awesome if I could do this every week, we’ll see. 🙂
I know I am not good at keeping up with this blog, but going this long without writing… I think this is the longest I have ever gone. Each year I say I am going to keep up with it and I do for a few months, then I stop due to life’s craziness or for whatever reason. One of the reasons I don’t keep up with it is I feel as if my life isn’t very exciting and therefore there is no point in writing if I think no one will read it. But after being away for this long, i have A LOT to write about. Instead of making this a VERY long post, I figured I would give you a list of the things that have happened in my life since my last post. 🙂
1. September 27, 2010- Brandon and I had our 3 year anniversary. We went to Pappas Bros. Steakhouse (yummy!). Best steak I have every had! It was delish! Brandon even had them decorate our dessert plate to say “Happy Anniversary Kayle!” (little sneak! 🙂 )
2. November 20, 2010- My cousin Nese got married!!! She is the first of the cousins on either side of my family to get engaged and/or married so this was very exciting. Her husband is quite a catch and I am so glad he is officially a part of our family. I was so honored to be one of her bridesmaids along with our other cousin Val.
3. November 27, 2010- Brandon popped the question and I happily accepted! I did not even see it coming and it was absolutely perfect! I am so excited to embark on this new chapter of life with my best friend. We will be getting married on August 12, 2011.
4. March 9, 2011- I turned 21!!! Woohoo! That is all. : )
5. April 3, 2011- the one year anniversary of my cousin’s passing.
6. April- Easter!! I was not able to go home for Easter this year (it was my first time being away from family Easter). I was sad because I knew how much my cousins were looking forward to seeing me and I missed them. But it was nice to stay back with Brandon and have our own Easter. We made Easter brunch (very tasty!), went to church, got stuck inside the church because of a tornado watch, went to this new place in Denton called Love Shack with people from church. It was a great Easter after all!
7. April- I ran my first 10k!! I can’t believe I did it, but it happened, and I actually had FUN! I can’t wait to do another one. This one was in Ft. Worth and we ran through part of the zoo. Pretty cool!
8. Yet another friend of mine from high school is gone. Hayden passed away in April. He was on the football team at Austin High as well as TCU. I only knew him our senior year but he was a great guy.
9. Another thing from April is I took my THEA test! I have to take this (and pass it) in order to get into the teacher education program OFFICIALLY at UNT. It was like the SAT/ACT and I had a study guide as well as a pre-test.
So yeah, life has been kinda crazy, sad and exciting all at the same time. I am thankful for everything that has happened in the past year and I look forward to all the adventures I will take part in within the next year. Lot’s of changes coming my way, but all of them are good. 🙂
Bye for now!
This weekend was a lot of fun! Saturday was our first home game of the season! We played against Rice (I honestly thought the game was over before it started.. haha.) We actually did really well at holding out own! We ALMOST beat them!! Ahh, we were so close! In the first quarter they were beating us by just field goals, ha. Before i knew it we were ahead with a score of 31-28! I couldn’t believe it! We only had 10 minutes left in the game and all we had to do was score to ensure a defeat. Well, one of our guys got seriously hurt.. What’s funny is no one saw it happen. We saw the snap of the ball and then one of our guys is on his back on the ground. Who knows what happened.. We ended up losing by just ONE POINT!! Ughh, the final score was 32-31 Rice. Disappointing but we did a lot better than I had expected. 🙂
Then on Sunday evening I went to the Gateway Center on campus with Brandon to a church service for a church called Hope Fellowship Church. A friend from my Bio class (who is from Round Rock and has mutual friends with me) invited us to go with her.It was really fun! She brought some friends from class. One of the girls is a freshmen EE major, so Brandon enjoyed talking what I call “EE talk” with her. Haha. The church has 2 homegroups (1 on Thursday nights and 1 on Friday nights) Brandon, my friend from Bio (Patricia) and her friends are going to start going to the one on Thursday evenings. I am excited about this because I really enjoyed being in D-Groups and miss them.
I had some pictures from Game Day but they were really lame and you couldn’t see anything (we were facing the sun.) But here is one I really like from before the game started. An airplane flew over the stadium and 4 people parachuted out! 1 person had the US flag on them, another person has the Texas flag, someone else the Mean Green flag and the 4th person has green and white streamers. It was so cool!
Over Labor Day Weekend I went to Disneyland with Brandon and his family. It was AWESOME!! I went to Disneyworld when I was 7 or 8ish and I remember it. I didn’t think I had been to Disneyland before but apparently I went while I was still in diapers. I don’t remember anything so it was cool to get to experience it all. Brandon and I flew up on Friday, went to Disneyland on Saturday and flew back to Denton on Sunday (talk about a lot of travel!) We were exhausted. Here are a few photos from the trip:
Space Mountain was my favorite ride of the day! I went on it 4 times! Haha. We also went on Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones (did NOT like it!), Jungle Safari, Dumbo, Snow White and Matterhorn. Oh yeah, so the park opened at 9am and we were there around 9:30am and stayed till it closed at midnight! That’s quite impressive for having an almost 3 year-old, and 11 year old and an 8 year old!
Hey everyone, sorry I have been absent for so long. I am horrible about keeping up with blogging, but I’m still here.. These past few months have been kind of crazy, but I’m going to update more often than I have in the past. 🙂
That’s right. it’s that time of year again- school is back in session. This usually brings mixed feelings for me but this semester is different. This semester is different because I am starting my major/fun classes! Hooray! 🙂 I am taking 1 core (History) & 4 major classes. My major classes are EDBE (Foundations of Bilingual Education & Bilingualism- my specialty is ESL), Intro to Linguistics, LTEC (Computers in the Classroom) & Environmental Science for Educators (with a lab). I am most excited about my LTEC class, I love learning about new technology and how it helps teachers in the classroom. I am sure I will be talking about that class a lot as the semester progresses.
I am also in a new apartment this year. I moved out of Forum and moved into the Ridge. There was a little mis-communication between me and the Ridge people. Long story short, I thought my move in date was July 23rd, instead it was August 23rd. My lease at Forum ended on July 31st.. yeah so I was going to be homeless for a week. I could have gone home, but I was in the middle of summer school. Luckily, a friend of mine’s brother & sister-in-law took me in until I moved into my new apartment. I am so thankful they offered up a room for me to stay in. I really enjoyed my month of living with them. I also gained 2 new friends from getting to know them and hang out with them. 🙂
That’s pretty much all that’s new with me. School is already keeping me crazy busy, but it’s fun because it’s stuff that has to do with my major instead of the classes everyone takes. Spring registration starts in about a month and when I go to register I will be seeing an adviser about all my tests, applications and such that i have to do before I student teach and graduate! Ah! Can’t believe I only have 2 more years left!!
Apparently I do. I have got to say that my Women’s Studies class is probably my favorite class I am taking this semester. When I registered for classes, I was looking for an easy A class with little effort to be put into it. Instead, I found a class that has changed me and is continuing to change me as a woman. This class focuses on oppression of women, sexism, racism and the woman’s role in society. The discussions we have in the class are very interesting and I enjoy hearing what everyone has to say. The majority of my class has a lot more knowledge than I do of women’s studies topics. I feel a little unprepared in class but I catch on quickly. A poem that we read recently really made an impact on me. It is called Video by India Arir. It’s basically about how she isn’t going to conform to the “typical” ideal of a woman, instead she is going to be herself. One stanza in particular really stood out to me, it goes like this:
“When I look in the mirror and there only on there is me
Every freckle on my face is where it’s supposed to be
And I know my creator didn’t make no mistakes on me
My feet, my thighs, my lips, my eyes, I’m loving what I see”
When I read this, I wanted to shout “Heck yes!” because I feel like this is how all women should feel about themselves. They should love everything about them and know that they are given the body they have for a reason. I know I have been very critical of myself and I am still trying to feel comfortable in my own skin. It’s nice to know, I’m not the only one, I’m not alone. Reading this makes me want to become a stronger woman and learn to be independent and do what I want to do no matter what society says about it. It makes me want to be the exception that proves society’s rules wrong. For that reason, I am going to be striving to making my goals and dreams happen, and I’m not going to let failures or bums in the road get to me, like I have in the past. I am going to learn from each experience and learn more about myself and discover how much I am capable of.
Right now we are reading a chapter in our textbook titled “Inscribing Gender on the Body” and it’s about how it’s “okay” for men to get piercings other than ears, but not for women. The chapter also talks about women loving their bodies no matter what. There is a large section in the chapter titled “The ‘Beauty’ Ideal” which talks about how a beautiful woman is portrayed as a tall, thin, blond-haired, blue-eyed, big-busted woman. Which is ironic considering only about 2% of women actually fit this ideal. It is quite astonishing to me just how willing we are as women to listen to what society tells us is “attractive” and “right”. We should make our own decisions about how we look and not let society take control of our lives.
I just thought I would share my thoughts with y’all, and my cousin told me I needed to blog again. 🙂 I’m sure this class will inspire me to write more about the class and what I’m learning from it.
Vegetarian! That’s right, my thing for the new year is to become a vegetarian. I want to see how long I can do it for and I want to see what new foods it will open me up to. I had my first vegetarian dish last night/this morning at 1 am. I had the Vegetarian Soup from Kerby Lane. I don’t know how I ate all of it- it was VERY spicy! But it tasted good. I am excited to see how this goes. To clarify a few things, I will still be drinking milk and eating eggs, just no meat. Instead of meat I will use substitutes like Boca Burgers.
Oh and Happy New Year to everyone!! I had an awesome time bringing in the New Year with Brandon and Allison. We went to Cheddar’s, then watched So I Married an Axe Murderer (great movie!), then we headed downtown and watched the fireworks from the pedestrian bridge. After the fireworks we headed over to Kerby Lane for a late night snack/breakfast.
Well I hope everyone had a safe and good New Year’s Eve! I will be updating my blog A LOT more often (another one of my resolutions! 🙂 )